17 Dec 2020

(O'NEIL BROTHERS 1): SLEIGH BELLS IN THE SNOW.



SLEIGH BELLS IN THE SNOW by SARAH MORGAN.

Once upon a time Kayla loved Christmas

Now she's more dedicated to her job than decking the halls, and can t wait for the most wonderful time of the year to be over.

Until she arrives at the enchanting Snow Crystal ski resort, determined to win gorgeous owner Jackson as a marketing client.

But wooing Jackson professionally quickly turns personal as they spend flirty festive nights in this glittering winter wonderland. 

With snowflakes swirling and sleigh bells ringing could Jackson be the one to make Kayla fall back under the Christmas spell? ... Back Cover Blurb

MY THOUGHTS ... Look at the cover top left (the book cover of the edition I read), read the Back Cover Blurb, it all looks very festive and innocent; your typical girl hates Christmas.

Now look at the cover on the right, not quite as cute and not what I thought of as festive but still fairly innocent, right?

I thought so too. 

What I really wasn't expecting was ...

The undercurrent of sexual harassment but then that's OK because Jackson is cute, sexy, manly (enter synonym of your choice), and he and Kayla, well, he and Kayla have 'chemistry'. UGGGHH! The number of times I read about their chemistry. They may well have had chemistry and Jackson may well have been cute, sexy, manly (enter synonym of your choice) but I just wasn't feeling it.

Out-datedA woman, Kayla's career was, but of course, merely a substitute; all it would take was a cute, sexy, manly (enter synonym of your choice) Adonis and she was out of there, her career forgotten - something that was confirmed when part way through the book Kayla, up until that point, a workaholic (albeit a somewhat inept one but then she is a woman), suddenly had a total character transformation.  

For the most part, full of snow, sleigh bells, tinsel, oh and a puppy (mustn't forget the puppy); your typical Hallmark Christmas movie until ...

Woah! 

There were the fairly explicit sex scenes. Granted there weren't a whole lot of them but still, not what I'd personally expect to find in a Christmas Romance, all a bit yucky; probably more than the scenes themselves, it was what I perceived as Jackson's slightly coercive behaviour that made me feel uneasy.


6 comments:

Kelly said...

Wow. I thought you were going to get your much wanted Christmas cheer in a novel, yet.... you evidently got more than you bargained for!! Sorry this one turned out to be a disappointment.

Mary (Bookfan) said...

I wonder if romance authors are pressured to include the open door sex scenes. I always think they are unnecessary but figure I'm in the minority. Maybe not.

nightwingsraven said...

Felicity,
I am truly sorry that this book
was also a disappointment to you.
But thank you for your honest and
critical review.
Raven

Suko said...

Thank you for your honest review, Felicity. Too bad this wasn't a better romance.

Literary Feline said...

I am sorry this one didn't work for you, Felicity. I really enjoyed it when I read it a few years ago and didn't have the issues you did with it.

Karen said...

This is a few years old right? I think I read it several years ago. I don't mind the sex scenes but I remember thinking this one (and her books in general) have an outdated feel.

Karen @ For What It's Worth